Sunday, January 25, 2009

2009 Planting has begun

The planting year has officially begun, albeit a little late. This year I am following the Square Foot Gardening technique. I am in the process of building the raised beds; one of the beds has been built but the soil hasn't been put in yet as the ground is still frozen from a very cold Winter and snow is still on the ground.

Anyway, as I was saying the official planting has begun. I have planted eight seeds of Bedfordshire Champion onions to start with. The seeds have been sown early, about ten weeks before the last frost date (approximately April 15th in Port Coquitlam). According to the spacing of the Square Foot technique, there should be approximately twelve onions per square-foot and I am not incredibly sure how many I am going to grow, but I will do one square foot at least. The next four seeds will be sown at a later date to ensure a staggered harvest.

4 comments:

  1. Fraser,
    What is your schedule for other vegetables? Last year I really got delayed because I took my seedlings outside too early. I want to time it better this year so my plants actually live and I don't have to start from seed all over again.
    I am going to try brussel sprouts this year too. Have you tried that veg in this climate?
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Rob,

    My planting schedule as follows:
    onion, leeks: 4th Feb
    peas, spinach outside: 11th Feb
    onions outside: 18th Feb

    and so on. I will be keeping all of the seeds indoors until at least 4 weeks before final frost date.

    I haven't done brussels yet, but I can certainly check it out for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. peas, spinach outside: 11th Feb
    Does that mean you are going directly outside with these or inside till after the last frost?

    ReplyDelete
  4. directly outside, although that might have been a mistake as nothing appears to be making an appearance just yet.

    ReplyDelete