Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Year-round Vegetable Gardener

I am currently reading a book called The Year-round Vegetable Gardener, which I have borrowed from the library and am finding very enjoyable so far.

Though I am only on chapter 2, I have found it a very good read and lays out some good ideas when it comes to planning a garden that provides bounty for the whole year. The author mentions such handy paraphernalia as cold frames, etc. which i have often thought about, but I live in quite a warm climate (sure it goes below zero over Winter, but not by too much) and so have never really gotten round to looking into building them. Besides, my garden isn't really big enough for permanent structures like that.

One aspect though, which I always get around now, is that the book is causing me anxiety. I always worry that I have missed the optimum time for sowing which, for the beginning of April, is a strange feeling to get (although I am worried that I won't get much bounty from my tomatoes yet as they haven't started to sprout). Anyway, I shall endeavour to invest in more seed starters and lights when I get the chance, so that I can have seeds on the go throughout the year, and not just during the colder Spring months.

No comments:

Post a Comment