Monday, February 16, 2009

I have finally managed to finish one of the raised beds (only five to go!). I filled the bed with a medium bale of peat moss (approx. 4.4 cubic feet), half a bag of vermiculite, 8 bags of mushroom compost (at 10 litres a bag) and a whole bunch of lime. I am hoping that this combination will suffice, but it will have to do for the moment.

I was a little eager in getting this bed ready as I thought that I had some major planting to do, but when I checked again I realised that I got my dates all wrong and that I was several weeks ahead of myself. Not to worry, I planted a square of Champion of England peas (8) and a square of spinach (9 seeds). As it is a little early I covered the bed with the plastic tunnel that I bought from Lee Valley last year. I will plant more peas in about two weeks time, but since the bed was ready I wanted to see how early I can start. I guess I'll know in a few days.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! I am so far behind! I have not even planted any seedlings yet! Isn't too early to plant outside? Will peas be okay to start now?
    Oh I have so much work to do this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I might have started peas a little early, but I have them covered with a plastic tunnel to keep away frost. Peas can be planted outside around 5 weeks before the last frost date, putting it at around March 11th. I got too eager!

    In terms of other seedlings I have only done onions and leeks so far, but I will be doing parsley and tomatoes this week.

    ReplyDelete