Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tomato seeds are in!

Today I sowed a pot of Black Zebra tomatoes (3 seeds), a pot of Nepal tomatoes (3 seeds), two pots of Golden Cherry tomatoes (6 seeds), five pots of parsley (2 pre-soaked seeds per pot), a pot of Black Beauty eggplant (3 seeds in the pot) and two pots of King of the North Sweet Pepper (3 seeds per pot). I am being a little cautious about the quantities as it all needs to fit into the square foot garden I have going. I might have to change some of the positions that I have planned as I go, but I am only doing four tomato plants this year. Hopefully I will actually get to eat some this year as most of my crop was wiped out by blight last year. I have put them on the heating mat that I bought from Lee Valley recently, so let's hope that it does some good, especially with the heat-loving seeds.

Below are a couple of images showing the progress of the onion and leeks that were planted earlier.



2 comments:

  1. Since I am behind schedule I was determined to do do the first step in preparing my garden for this years crop. I am trying to catch up to Fraser so I wanted to get my first raised bed done (8 x 6).

    I have the flu and feel terrible but was determined. I started my day at 9am and went to Meadows Landscape Supply in Pitt Meadows which is my new discovery. They have an excellent selection of dirt and manure. The greatest thing is you just drive your vehicle and load it up. If you have a truck you can fill it with their tractor. If you have a van like me they give you bags and charge you based on how full your bags are. I took about one cubic yard of their garden soil which is heavenly (lawn and garden blend).

    I took my two year old with me so it took me a bit longer to get organized. All the women in the landscape office liked to chat with him.

    Once we got home I realized that each bag of dirt was about 100 pounds. Yikes. Used the kids wagon to transport to the backyard.

    Built the bed with wood I had already purchased (pine) and ensured it was level as it was on a bit of a slope. Put in some wooden poles in the corners so I can add a roof during cold weather and run string for plant support if needed.

    Wife bought a new stove during all this so had to run out and bring it home. Old one had to go down the stairs and into garage then the new one had to go up the stairs and in place. Back is killing me now.

    After a cup of tea and a couple Tylenol I was back in the garden. Newspaper went down as first layer, then wood chips, then collection of sticks as lifters then manure. The final step was the beautiful black dirt I bought today which is 20% manure too. Dumped 100 pound bags of dirt into the frame one at a time. Back is throbbing with pain now.

    Darn it! Not enough dirt. Going inside for another tea. Up early tomorrow for another dirt run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, I am so very impressed. Your bed is larger than mine (4x4) and so you are probably ahead of me now so that should make your throbbing aches and pains feel better. Good call re: Meadows Landscape Supply. I'll have to give them a look.

    ReplyDelete