Sunday, February 27, 2011

Second Sowing of the Season

Tonight I sowed 32 lettuce seeds, and 32 arugula seeds. Not a great deal to report, I guess, but this is pretty early to be sowing these seeds, even indoors.

I calculate that I am currently seven weeks from my last frost date ( around April 15th), so these seeds will be grown indoors until around 4 weeks from that date, when I will then transplant them outdoors and cover them with my polytunnel. When they are planted I will also start sowing lettuce seeds outdoors to get a continuous stream of salad leaves for at least the early part of the season (or at least until it gets too hot). It will also enable me to use up the space around my vegetable bed around areas of slower growing plants like tomatoes and maximize space (I have less than I did back in Port Coquitlam).

No comments:

Post a Comment