Monday, March 9, 2009

Back-up sowings

Today's update is about making back-up sowings. Basically I have been a bit disappointed with the progress of some of my previous sowings and so today I made some back-ups just in case. Therefore today I made some more sowings of lettuce, swiss chard and spinach, as well as replanting beans.

Essentially the seedlings of those previous sowings got a bit too leggy before I put them under a light, and so now they are very droopy. At first I assumed I am under-watering, which may still be the case, but I think legginess might be a bigger problem, hence the new seedlings. Also, I rushed the season with the beans and put them in my mobile greenhouse. All was well for about a day before a frost finished them off.

Since I am feeling a bit down on the progress of my seeds I also planted some radishes (English Breakfast). This time, as soon as a shoot appears the entire tray is going under a light to see if I can solve this problem. On the plus side, since these vegetables are relatively speedy growers I haven't lost too much time and, who knows, maybe the first batch will work out fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment