Saturday, March 7, 2009

Grow


Picture is of my bean seedlings which are sitting on top of my washing machine.

March has to be the Christmas eve of gardening. Every weekend I am out in the garden, frantically preparing and planning. Whenever I get a chance I review my seed collection wondering what I will plant this year and in what order I should start my seedlings. Those seedlings that I have already planted are sprouting up and growing towards the ceiling in what seems like amazing speed.

I check the seedlings and wonder what the year will bring each evening before I go to sleep. The anticipation of beautifully red tomatoes hanging over bushy basil plants or the carrot tops mixed in with a collection of tasty lettuces feels just like it did when I was a kid on Christmas eve. The only difference is now the anticipation is spread over a few months.

Now I am a grown up (most days), I know Santa clause doesn't circle the globe in one night but I still like the feeling that wondrous evening brought. I'm glad there is a grown up version of the same joy.

Happy gardening everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment