Sunday, March 1, 2009

First raised bed - Done!


This weekend I finally finished the first of three raised beds I had planned to make for the garden this summer. I had started off just wanting a square frame to hold the new dirt but it sort of became a project before I knew it.

I used untreated pine for the frame. Ensure you don't get the green treated wood as it will leach the chemicals into the dirt. While the new treatment is less poisonous than before, to me poison is poison. I could have treated the pine with linseed oil but I figure this will last a few years without it. Cedar would likely be my first choice as it has a natural preservative but the cost is much more than pine.

I bought some cheap one by ones that were broken and repaired and then sold in bundles. The pvc corrugated cover was fifteen dollars a sheet (used three) and you can pay a lot more if you buy the more fancy stuff. I am not sure what the difference is other than shade.

I sloped the roof so the rain runs away from the house. I plan to place a small gutter on the one side so the rain will run into a rain barrel for summer watering.

I have about 75$ of special garden dirt which is about 20% manure and composted materials. See the details of this in my previous post.

This afternoon I saw a couple cats looking at this so I am now a bit concerned. I think I will need to cover it with chicken wire until I get some veg going otherwise I have just created the biggest kitty litter in the neighborhood, complete with raid guard...

1 comment:

  1. hahahaha! I highly recommend some kind of chicken wire. I know my cats adore the newly turned and stone-free dirt. I have already had a couple of cat pees, but since I am about to cover the ground with about a foot of dirt I don't really mind.

    Other than that, great job! it looks really nice, especially the shade cover. Great for heat-intolerant plants during the mid-summer months.

    ReplyDelete