Sunday, March 29, 2009

Outside sowings begin

After working on a couple of my new raised beds I decided to do some outdoor sowings. The peas that I had previously sowed outside have all germinated and started to grow and so I felt it was time to do some more, especially since it is now only two weeks to go until the last frost date (April 15th). I sowed a square of Lutz Beets (16 plants), Champion of England Peas (8 plants), bunching onions (16 plants), Lucullus Swiss Chard (4 plants), Marvel of Four Seasons lettuce (4 plants), and two squares of radishes (32 plants).

I have become very despondent over my previosu sowings and now feel that everything is too leggy to be worthwhile, and the onions seem to be doing poorly. I haven't got proper grow lights and I guess you really do need the right equipment to do this properly. Lesson learnt for next year, although I will keep on tending to the seedlings to see how they progress.

The weather looks like it is going to be pretty miserable for the upcoming week with the chance of snow mid-week. After that it will still be pretty miserable but with the temperatures heading north it looks like the last frost date will be exactly that.

No comments:

Post a Comment